Sunday, October 6, 2013

My Mind Map Explanation



While it is true that my network has changed the way I learn, I feel the real focus is how my network has expanded into multiple connections that in turn extend to yield multiple shared resource points. 

There is no underestimating the power of an immediate answer. Just a few years ago, the search for answers and information was a much tougher road. A typical study session included hours in libraries searching for bits and pieces of precious information. Back then, much time was spent seeking out professors and requesting a few precious minutes of their office hours to ask only the toughest questions for fear of being denied future access. No longer does one have to beg and dig for information, now it is ours for the taking. However, easy pickings utilizing digital tools are not without obstacles. Almost anyone can publish and people do publish regardless of competency. One must learn to evaluate the information. When I have academic related questions I make good use of Google Scholar and among other things try to pay close attention to where the information is coming from. I have found that even refereed papers can be biased depending upon the source. So just like in Face to Face relationships one has to give thought to who is speaking and whom their true audience may be.

My personal learning network supports the connectivism model. Consider the following description.

In the connectivist model, a learning community is described as a node, which is always part of a larger network. Nodes arise out of the connection points that are found on a network. A network is comprised of two or more nodes linked in order to share resources. Nodes may be of varying size and strength, depending on the concentration of information and the number of individuals who are navigating through a particular node (Downes, 2008).

My learning community has expanded with the increased access to technology. I reach and share more resources on a grander scale than I ever thought possible. Information is continuously transforming and so is my understanding and beliefs.

Downes, S (2007a, February 6). Msg. 30, Re: What Connectivism Is. Connectivism Conference: University of Manitoba. 

No comments:

Post a Comment